Thursday, March 31, 2011

Do you want to get married?

"Do you want to get married?"

That question is definitely in my top 5 of questions I hate. I hate when people ask me that because they always ask with an attitude that implies- I have already decided that you don't want to get married but I will ask you anyway.

Yes. Yes, I want to get married. In fact I can't wait to wake up to my husband every day and have someone to talk to every night. I can't wait until someone loves me for me, even when I'm being a crazy bi-atch or when I'm mad at something or when I'm overly excited about something dumb. I can't wait to be in love.

However, I have other things to worry about right now. At this point in my life I have other things that are of slightly more importance to me. Why do people assume that because I'm not crying in my room every night about my age and my lack of boyfriends that I don't want to be married? Do I have to do the mandatory -oh woe is me, I'm not married-every time I get together with friends? HELL-to-the-NO. In fact, I do talk about marriage. Sometimes. But I'm not depressed about it. I'm not counting the number of useful eggs I have left. I'm not worried about my age. Yes, I want a career. Yes, I want a job. Yes, I want those things before marriage. I guess I'm sorry, but I also don't owe the world an apology. I actually enjoy talking about my future hubby, but I'd rather talk about him with my best friend than anyone else. I probably just don't talk about those things with you. I'd rather talk about those kinds of things with people who understand why I am not in a rush than talk about it with people who make me feel like I owe them some kind of explanation.

So, until I can wake up in bed with my husband every morning, I'll just enjoy the sleepovers with my best friends. I'll enjoy the conversations that we have in the middle of the night about the boys we like,the things we want to do, our future husbands, our fears, our insecurities, and our lives because when I am married, I am sure I will miss those things.

Instead of trying to make me feel like I'm missing something, why don't you encourage me to appreciate what I have right now?

In other words, Stop Asking Me.

3 comments:

  1. Once you move out of Provo Utah you will never hear that question again!! I am excited for you to get married one day because I am so curious to see what kind/type of guy you married. I am more excited to find out who it is than you actually getting married!! ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about it girl, just cause I am 25, ski all the time, and don't worry about dating doesn't mean anything and stop asking me too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are doing it perfectly, and probably the only ppl that ask are the ppl that wish they had your life :)

    The best way to enter into a relationship is once you should know who you are and once you are established in your (as well for your partner) and then when the two of you come together, you both will have much more to bring into the relationship.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete