Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I never did that

So Handro and I were looking at his triathlon medal and just staring and talking. He started making fun of me and said I would never do one because I would never commit. If you know me, you know that I hate when people tell me that I can't or won't do something. So I started getting mad. But then he made a very good point... he said," I'm still waiting for you to do your half-marathon."

That shut me the hell up. Fast.

He's right. I have said I am going to do a half-marathon and I still haven't.

That got me thinking. I hate being that person. I hate being a person who doesn't do what she says she is going to do. I hate flakes. I hate unreliable people. I hate when you have a friend and you can't depend on them. I hate being the person who is always late. I've tried really hard this year to be the kind of person that people can rely on. I like being true to my word. I like that my 3 best friends can call me and they know that if I say I will do something I do it. A big motivator for me is accountability. I don't get mad at people who hold me accountable for the things that come out of my mouth. I like not letting people down and I like committing to a task. I never want people to feel less important/ or not important enough simply because I am a flake. It just ain't nice!

I also have a lot of things that I haven't had the chance to do yet. Things that I say I am going to do but really don't back it up. I'm done with that. From now on I am just going to say things that I really feel like I can back up or at least am totally considering backing up. Of course there will sometimes be some uncertain circumstances. But most of the time I find that I can handle uncertainties with a little bit of better planning. I don't want to grow up and be the person who says," You know what, I always wanted to, but I never did that."


Anyway since I am holding myself accountable (mostly to me, cz I don't know who reads this) here's what I plan on doing/will do at some point this summer:

Beach it up in Jersey
Go to the top of the statue of liberty in NYC
Beach it up in FL
Niagara Falls
Moab with my siblings
Learn to surf/ or at least practice
I am going to learn to dominate at batting cages. This is no joke. I will dominate you.

Here's what I MIGHT do this summer:

SoCal trip with some of my ward friends (we're still working out some scheduling issues plus finding room and board for us!)
Go to the top of Coit Tower in SF
Take a small ride up highway from Santa Cruz to SF


By next Christmas I will have run a half marathon- But I am going to keep it to myself so I don't let myself and other down this time around.


Things I wil do by the time I graduate:
Sky dive
Parasail ( I really really want to learn it!)

There's obviously more things on my bucket list and things I want to do. But for now these are my short-term and mid-term goals.

Only my homies ever know my long, long-term plans. They change so much, I don't share that often.

Here's to being responsible for my actions! I won't let you down. But mostly, I won't let myself down.




1 comment:

  1. Proud of you :) I too hate to be "that person" and want to be a woman of my word, it's very important to me...also don't want to be the person that says "wish I would've done that" I hope to help you reach the Falls <3

    ReplyDelete